2012 brought new and expanded services and programs:
- We launched a multi-year initiative to improve access to technology.
- 60,000 Chicago kids took part in the Chicago Public Library Foundation-sponsored Summer Reading Program, reading more than 1.5 million books, a new record.
- The Teacher in the Library program continued in 58 of our locations, where certified teachers helped 58,000 students focus on math and reading skills, and complete homework assignments.
- The YOUmedia digital learning program expanded to four branches, and 30 libraries and museums across the country are replicating YOUmedia, which started at the Harold Washington Library Center.
- We opened a new Edgewater Branch and are developing new library services in Back of the Yards, where the public library will serve the entire community and share a footprint with an international baccalaureate high school. The Humboldt Park Branch now has a new cutting-edge science and math learning center for middle schoolers.