Whether you're a lifelong Chicagoan or a first-time visitor, we recommend the Top 10 Things to Do at Harold Washington Library Center.
Art: 8th Floor
- Fine arts, architecture, dance, design, fashion, film and crafts
Assistive Resources Center: 5th Floor
- Assistive technology
- For more information: People with Disabilities FAQs
Business: 4th Floor
- Careers, job searching, company information, financial planning and small business information
Children’s Library: 2nd Floor
The Thomas Hughes Children’s Library is for children through eighth grade. Find:
- Children’s books, audiobooks and music
- Computers for children 13 and under
Computers: 3rd Floor
Exhibits: Throughout the building
- Current HWLC exhibits are on display in Ida B. Wells Corridor and Van Buren Corridor on the Ground Floor, 3rd Floor North, Special Collections Exhibit Hall on the 9th Floor and in display cases throughout the building.
Fiction: 7th Floor
- Literature, plays, poetry, short stories and fiction
Government Information: 5th Floor
- Congressional publications, Executive Branch documents, statistics, maps and Illinois documents
- Chicago Public Library is a congressionally designated depository for U.S. Government documents. Public access to the government documents collection is guaranteed by public law. (Title 44 United States Code)
History: 6th Floor
- Chicago history and genealogy
Holds: 1st Floor
- Pick up holds in the Popular Library.
Kids Museum Passports: 1st Floor
- Check out Kids Museum Passports.
Languages: 7th Floor
- Language learning audiobooks and DVDs
- Books, newspapers and magazines in world languages
Large Print: 7th Floor
- Fiction and nonfiction books
Lost and Found: 3rd Floor
- Building Management Office
Maker Lab: 3rd Floor
- The Maker Lab features 3D printers, laser cutters and more.
Movies: 1st Floor
Municipal Reference Collection: 5th Floor
- City of Chicago and Cook County materials including annual reports, newspaper clippings, community area information and election results
Popular Library, 1st Floor
- Music practice rooms
- Scores, recordings, LPs and sheet music
Newspapers and Periodicals: 5th Floor
- Current newspapers and magazines
- Historical newspapers and periodicals on microfilm
- Online Resources: Chicago newspapers
Science and Technology: 4th Floor
- Animals, construction, cooking, environment, health and medicine, science fair, technology and transportation
Social Science: 6th Floor
- Education, law, library science, philosophy, political science, religion, sports and travel
Special Collections: 9th Floor
- Special Collections has rare and unique materials focusing on Chicago as well as the Civil War.
- Exhibit halls
- Floors 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Find out how to reserve a study room.
Winter Garden: 9th Floor
- The Winter Garden, the architectural centerpiece of the library, is available for study and private events.
- With an open courtyard design, the Winter Garden features natural light, greenery and, like the rest of the building, free WiFi.
YOUmedia: 1st Floor
- YOUmedia has events, programs, books, computers and media creation tools and software for high school students.