Chicago Public Library is turning 150 and we have stories to tell. This six-episode limited series podcast takes us on a journey – from building a library after the Great Chicago Fire to reimagining what libraries could be. Along the way, we will meet different Library People: librarians, patrons, authors, and so much more. Each episode will bring a mix of voices and stories found in Chicago’s 80+ branches that make Chicago Public Library a city treasure and a leader in the space.
Take a deeper dive into episode 6 of the Library for the People podcast, focusing on the future of libraries.
CPL's Impact and Initiatives
Episode 6 delves into CPL's impact and initiatives over the past 150 years. The photos above offer a glimpse into these topics, including photos of the Harold Washington Library Center Construction, CPL co-located housing and library locations, the Winter Garden and students enjoying their 81 Club cards.
Reimagine Your Public Library Exhibition by Human Scale
Photos of the exhibition created by Human Scale to help people imagine what kind of library they want to have in their community. The exhibition, which wrapped up in June at the Chicago Cultural Center, featured square pieces users could snap together to create visual blueprints of their ideal space.
- View the final five submissions in the 1987 HWLC Design/Build competition
- Learn more about the Chicago Public Library Foundation
- Press Release: Mayor Emanuel Announces Innovative Partnership Between Chicago Housing Authority and Chicago Public Library That Will Deliver Co-Located Housing and New Libraries
- The 81 Club: Instant CPL Access for Chicago Students
- Books by Eve L. Ewing in the CPL catalog