Pursuant to Governor Pritzker's order for the State of Illinois to shelter in place, Chicago Public Library is closed from noon March 21 through May 30. See the Chicago Stay at Home Order Frequently Asked Questions for more information about sheltering in place.
Book drops will be locked at all CPL locations. CPL ended use of overdue fines in 2019; effective today, library cardholders with suspensions on their accounts because of over $30 in fees from items marked as "lost" will be able to check out online materials. During this time, physical materials will automatically renew, and accounts will not be blocked.
CPL will continue to get guidance from Chicago Department of Public Health officials. CDPH continues to work closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other federal, state and local partners to monitor and respond to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak.
You can find local, up-to-date information about COVID-19 on the CDPH website, www.chicago.gov/coronavirus. Additional questions can be directed to email@example.com or (312) 746-4835. Get national updates on the virus at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus.
Using the Library Remotely
CPL cardholders can access library resources and information, including eBooks, audiobooks, music, video and online resources, 24/7 on our website.
Don’t have a library card yet? Apply for an eCard to access eBooks, audiobooks and online resources.
Patrons with smartphones can access CPL on-the-go with our mobile app on iOS and Android. Other applications accessible with a CPL card include:
- Brainfuse: Live homework help from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. in English and Spanish
- Hoopla: Streaming and downloadable audiobooks, music, video and eBooks
- Flipster: Read current and back issues of over 25 of our most popular magazines, including The Atlantic, Better Homes & Gardens, Bloomberg Businessweek, Ebony, Entertainment Weekly, Parents,Real Simple, Scientific American, Shape, Sports Illustrated and Time.
- Mango Languages: Lessons in 70+ languages, including English
- Overdrive: Downloadable eBooks, audiobooks
- RBdigital Magazines: Latest issues of more than a hundred popular magazines.