Chicago Examiner Digital Collection
CPL's Digital Collections document life in Chicago through archival images, documents and artifacts.
The Chicago Examiner was one of a dozen major newspapers published in Chicago at the turn of the last century. It was known for sensational news stories. CPL’s 10-year run of the Examiner, while incomplete, extends from 1908 to 1918 and represents the longest run of the paper still available.
The Examiner includes coverage of major stories in Chicago's history, such as:
- the tragic shipwreck of the Eastland, a Great Lakes passenger steamer, in which 844 passengers and crew perished while the ship was tied to a dock in the Chicago River
- the infamous 1910 Union Stock Yards fire that killed more firefighters than any building collapse until September 11, 2001
- the mystery of the Dunne Water Crib fire, told through first-person accounts, reporting, photos and illustrations;
- big early wins for the Cubs and the White Sox
The Chicago Examiner is housed in the Special Collections and Preservation Division at Harold Washington Library Center; microfilm is available in the newspapers department at Harold Washington Library Center.
Questions or concerns about rights and access to this digital collection? See our Copyright and Takedown Policy.
Acknowledgment of Harmful Materials
Chicago Public Library collects images, documents and other archival materials from different communities and time periods to preserve and make available the cultural and historical record. As historical objects, some of these materials contain harmful or disturbing content. CPL presents these artifacts as an unfiltered social record and does not endorse the views expressed therein.
Related CPL Collections
- Archival collections:
- Chicago Newspapers: Online and microfilm
Related External Resources
- Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections: More than 100 Illinois newspapers dating back to 1831.
- Library of Congress Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers: Digitized newspapers from all 50 states, 1789-1943.
Chicago History Blog
History & Genealogy Events
Aug 19th | 10:00am - 12:00pm
Aug 27th | 1:30pm - 2:15pmOnline Event