Chicago Public Library offers meeting rooms for use by the public at nearly all its branch and regional library locations.
Use of the Library’s meeting rooms does not constitute the Chicago Public Library’s endorsement of viewpoints expressed by the applicant or program participants. Advertisements or announcements implying such endorsement are not permitted.
All applicants should be aware that the Chicago Human Rights Ordinance prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, disability, age (over 40), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, military discharge status and source of income.
Failure to comply with Library policy or meeting room use guidelines may result in the denial of subsequent requests for meeting room use.
Priority of Use
Library- and City-sponsored activities and programs are given priority in the scheduling of meeting rooms, and the Library reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any scheduled meeting arrangements with reasonable notice to the applicant.
To promote the accessibility of the meeting rooms to a wide variety of groups, or due to staffing responsibilities, the Library may limit the number or length of meetings during any time period for any applicant. The Library also reserves the right to place additional limitations on the use of meeting rooms at various Library locations due to varying demands at those locations.
Insurance and Liability Considerations
Programs involving animals, food preparation and distribution, health fairs with medical screenings, and physical activity may require additional insurance on the part of the applicant. Applicants should discuss such events with the location managers prior to applying for a room reservation.
Applicants may not store items to be used for events or meetings at the Library without prior permission from the location manager.
Applicants may book meeting rooms up to three months in advance but no later than seven days before requested use. Applications for meeting room use are not confirmed until approved by the location manager. Applicants will be notified of approval for use within three days.
Guidelines for Use
- Meeting rooms shall be used for programs of an educational or civic nature and shall not be used in any way that interferes with regular library services and operations, or which causes a threat to the safety of Library employees, patrons or property.
- Meeting rooms are available for use only during regular service hours on days the Library is open. Exact times vary by location.
- All persons attending events in meeting rooms must comply with CPL’s Library Use Guidelines.
- No entrance fee may be charged, no collection may be taken and no purchase may be required of those attending events in meeting rooms.
- Applicant must present valid proof of identification at time of check-in.
- Applicant is responsible for supervision of all children.
- Applicant may not use the CPL logo in promoting or advertising their meeting without prior permission from the Library.
- Light refreshments may be served, however no alcohol is permitted.
- Applicant is responsible for set up of the room and shall leave the room in good order.
- Applicant and the organization he/she represents agree to pay for any special maintenance or security required, as determined by the Library.
- Applicant and his/her organization agree to pay for damages to the meeting room or to Library property resulting from meeting room use.
- The number attending a meeting may not exceed the established capacity of the room.
- All organizations or groups shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Chicago Public Library and City of Chicago, its officers, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, suits, actions of any kind, arising and resulting and accruing from any negligent act, omission or error of the organization or group resulting in or relating to personal injuries or property damage arising from the organization/group’s use of the Library meeting room.