Mayor of Chicago, 1847-1848, 1850-1851
- Democratic Party
- Elected 11th mayor of Chicago March 2, 1847; defeated Philo Carpenter (Liberty) and John H. Kinzie (Whig)
- Elected 13th mayor (second term) March 5, 1850; defeated Levi Day Boone and Lewis C. Kerchival (Democrats without formal party nomination)
- Inauguration to first term: March 9, 1847
- Inauguration to second term: March 12, 1850
- Born April 7, 1803 in Weathersford, Vt.
- Worked in publishing early in his career
- Practiced law and served as state’s attorney
- Served as alderman for several years and later as clerk of the Court of Common Pleas for Cook County
- Died November 2, 1859 in Joliet, Ill.
- Gravesite is unknown
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- "Obituary 2 -- No Title." Chicago Press and Tribune, November 3, 1859, p. 1.
- "Obituary 2 -- No Title." Chicago Press and Tribune, November 4, 1859, p. 1.