Mayor of Chicago, 1855-1856
- Know-Nothing Party
- Elected 17th mayor of Chicago March 8, 1855; defeated Isaac Lawrence Milliken (Democrat)
- Inauguration: March 13, 1855
- Born December 8, 1808 in Lexington, Ky.
- Nephew of Daniel Boone
- Married Louisa M. Smith in 1833; she was the daughter of State Supreme Court Justice Theophilus W. Smith; they had 11 children.
- Served as city physician for a number of years
- Worked in the insurance business when ill health prevented him from practicing medicine
- Held under military arrest for assisting a prisoner escape from Camp Douglas; he was later cleared of charges.
- Served eight years as alderman of the 2nd Ward
- Died January 24, 1882 in Chicago
- Buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- "Obituary." Chicago Daily Tribune, January 25, 1882, p. 3.
- "Obituary." Chicago Daily Tribune, January 27, 1882, p. 6.