Mayor of Chicago, 1873-1875
- People’s Party
- Elected 27th mayor of Chicago November 4, 1873; defeated Lester Legrand Bond (Union)
- Inauguration: December 1, 1873
- Born December 18, 1815 in Herkimer County, N.Y.
- Married Miss Nancy Churchill of Little Falls, N.Y., and together they had five children.
- Worked for 38 years with the United States Express Company
- After he was injured in a cable car fall, he went to live with his son in Florida.
- Died April 16, 1892 in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- "H. D. Colvin is Dead." Chicago Daily Tribune, April 17, 1892, p. 3.
- Washburne, Hempstead. "Received by Many Friends." Chicago Daily Tribune, April 20, 1892, p. 6.