Art can be a great stepping stone into activism, so get started with these kit ideas. Can't make it in to your local branch? You can replicate several of the kits with items around the house.
Make a statement by wheatpasting signs across the city (with permission)!
- Check out Levalet, a Paris based artist that uses wheatpasting to interact with the architecture and shapes around him
- Swoon, Caledonia Curry, is another wheatpaste artist you must see, based out of Brooklyn
- Want to read more about graffiti? Check out this blog Paint, Paste, Sticker by Leslie
Tiny Desk Aquariums
Add some plant life to your working space with this tiny desk aquarium tutorial!
Imagination Journal Kit
Want to express how you’re feeling and what you’re doing during this time? Use time stuck at home to record your experiences in a journal.
- You can check out more reuse projects available at Creative Chicago Reuse Exchange
Shrinky Dinks Kit
Design cool pins with this shrinky dinks tutorial!
- Fun templates from shrinkibits
- Shrinky Dink Earrings from Art For All
- The Ultimate Shrinky Dink Guide by Tater Zoid
- Check out the original commercial for this hot 80s item: Shrinky Dinks Commercial
Explore MCA Learning Resources for Spiritual Self-Portraits. Find more background information and prompts for exploring the materials in your kit, with links to videos and demonstration guides. Related videos include:
- TV Short: Assemblages
- TV for Spiritual Beings
- Meet the artist, Carolina Caycedo: From the Bottom of the River Exhibition Video Interview
- Arts | Chicago Public Library (chipublib.org)Tiny Desk Aquariums
DM us @youmediachicago so we can share your works of art and activism!
You can also check out all the kits we had last summer to get more inspiration.
If you want additional instructions for the kits, email email@example.com for more details.