Chicago Public Library's One Book One Chicago partners with Lyric Opera of Chicago for an extraordinary new initiative celebrating the stories of Chicago's communities and exploring Chicago's vocal traditions. Chicagoans are invited to participate in the Chicago Voices Community Created Performances program and win the opportunity to tell the story of their community through song.
Share the story that defines your community and compete for the chance to turn your story into an original music theater work. Community Created Performances are original music theater works created and performed by community groups using a core element of opera: storytelling through song. Participating groups throughout Chicago, regardless of background or experience, will create and develop these original works which will be driven by the participants and will be supported by Lyric Opera professional artists and staff.
In keeping with the 2015-2016 One Book, One Chicago theme of Chicago: The City That Gives, we are seeking untold stories - the parts of city life that may not appear on the news or in the papers - about the people and communities of Chicago.
Information sessions are being held at branch libraries locations on the following dates and times -
- Blackstone Library: Saturday, February 13th, 10 – 11AM
- Greater Grand Crossing Library: Saturday, February 13th, 1 – 2PM
- Woodson Regional Library: Sunday, February 14th, 2 – 3PM
- Bezazian Library: Wednesday, February 17th, 6:30 – 7:30PM
- Little Village Library: Thursday, February 18th, 6:30 – 7:30PM
- Near North Library: Saturday, February 20th, 10 – 11AM
- Back of the Yards Library: Saturday, February 20th, 2 – 3PM
- Humboldt Park Library: Monday, February 22nd, 6 – 7PM
- Lincoln Belmont Library: Tuesday, February 23rd, 6:30 – 7:30PM
- Jefferson Park Library: Thursday, February 25th, 6:30 – 7:30PM
- Roosevelt Library: Monday, February 29th, 6:30 – 7:30PM
We've also created some reading lists for more information on opera and writing -
For more information and contest rules, visit Chicago Voices.