The 2017-2018 season of One Book, One Chicago continues through April 2018, celebrating the theme Music: The Beat of Our City. This season's book is I'll Take You There by Greg Kot.
I’ll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers, and the Music That Shaped the Civil Rights Era recounts the life and achievements of the lead singer of the Staple Singers, revealing how her family fused diverse musical genres to transcend racism and oppression through song, and discussing her collaborations with fellow artists and her impact on civil rights culture. Staples and her family are Chicago natives and one of the city’s most enduring musical legacies. Critically acclaimed biographer and Chicago Tribune music critic Greg Kot cuts to the heart of Mavis Staples' music, revealing the intimate stories of her 60-year career.
Winter/Spring 2018 programming includes:
- Author events with Todd Mayfield (Traveling Soul), Robert Marovich (A City Called Heaven) and more
- Neighborhood walking tours
- Book discussions
- Musical film screenings of Mavis!, The Last Waltz, and more
- Community concerts featuring Blue Ribbon Glee Club, Punk Rock N Donuts with C.H.E.W., Sing-a-longs with Old Town School of Folk Music artists, Cantonese Opera, Rap and Poetry with Roy Kinsey, and more
- Panel discussions on Women, Music and Sexism, Perspectives on Queercore and Social Justice Through Sound
- Make Lab classes on speaker amplifiers, record shopping totes, music pins, guitar picks and sound creation
- Exhibits on The Fellowship of the Reverend Clay Evans, The Staple Singers and the Civil Rights Movement: A Fashion Window Display and The Iconic Mavis Staples: A Fashion Window Display
For a full listing of all events, plus blogs, quizzes, recommended reading lists and other ways you can explore our theme, visit the One Book, One Chicago website.
One Book, One Chicago 2017-18 is made possible by the Chicago Public Library Foundation, funded through generous support from The Chicago Community Trust and BMO Harris Bank with travel support provided by United Airlines.