Mayor of Chicago, 1869-1871
- Citizens’ Party
- Elected 25th mayor of Chicago November 2, 1869; defeated George W. Gage (Republican)
- Inauguration: December 6, 1869
- Born September 19, 1805 in New Hartford, N.Y.
- Married Miss Harriet L. Hopkins in 1831; together they had eight children.
- Appointed to the Chicago Board of Public Works
- Served as trustee of the Illinois Industrial University (now the University of Illinois)
- Worked as a civil engineer in the railroad industry
- Died January 1, 1892 in Chicago
- Buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- Visitors Guide to Historic Rosehill. Rosehill Cemetery & Mausoleum, 1987.