Mayor of Chicago, 1853-1854
- Democratic Party (without formal party nomination)
- Elected 15th mayor of Chicago March 14, 1853; defeated Josiah L. James (Democrat without formal party nomination)
- Inauguration: March 7, 1853
- Born March 7, 1807 in Sherburne, N.Y.
- Married Miss Mary Ann Haines in 1832 in Philadelphia
- Worked in construction until an injury forced him into other work
- Served as a street commissioner for three years and later in the Fire Department as first assistant foreman
- Early business partner of Cyrus McCormick but sold his interest to William B. Ogden
- Worked as a freight agent for the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad
- Died October 17, 1885 in Chicago
- Buried in Graceland Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- "Funeral of Charles M. Gray." Chicago Daily Tribune, October 21, 1885, p. 7.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- "Obituary." Chicago Daily Tribune, October 18, 1885, p. 11.
- "They Have Gone Before." Chicago Daily Tribune, October 20, 1885, p. 2.