Mayor of Chicago, 1838-1839
- Whig Party
- Elected second mayor of Chicago March 6, 1838; defeated William Jones (Democrat)
- Born August 19, 1800 in Augusta, Ky.
- Admitted to the bar in 1827
- Married Miss Evilina Barker of Mason County, Ky. in 1832
- Elected alderman of Sixth Ward in 1839
- First wife died in 1847, leaving two daughters
- Became a Mason in 1848 and eventually reached the highest degree attainable in America
- Married Miss Eliza A. Stephenson in 1850
- Second wife died in 1855, leaving one son
- In 1856, married Mrs. M.E. Parrish, sister of his two business partners
- Died December 16, 1879 in Chicago
- Buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- Visitors Guide to Historic Rosehill. Rosehill Cemetery & Mausoleum, 1987.