Mayor of Chicago, 1844-1845
- Independent Democratic Party
- Elected eighth mayor of Chicago April 2, 1844; defeated Augustus Garrett (Democrat) and Henry Smith (Liberty)
- Inauguration: April 2, 1844; inaugural address not available
- Born April 21, 1811 in Barre, Vt.
- In 1833, married Miss Aurora Abbott, whom he survived by nearly 20 years and with whom he had 14 children.
- Served as alderman and fire chief
- One of the city’s first icemen
- Died September 22, 1903 in Waukegan, Ill.
- Buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Waukegan, Ill.
- "Alson S. Sherman Dead." Chicago Daily Tribune, September 23, 1903, p. 5.
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- Waller, C. L. “6 of the Oldest Cemeteries in Lake County.” Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Ill.), August 24, 1998, p. 1.