Notice to Researchers
The Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection is closed while Woodson Regional Library undergoes a complete envelope replacement and interior improvements project. The building is expected to reopen in late 2017.
Harsh Research Collection staff will be temporarily relocated to Harold Washington Library Center, where they will continue to acquire, process, preserve and make available unique materials related to the African American experience in Chicago and the Midwest.
During this time, access to the materials in the Harsh Research Collection will be available by appointment only. Researchers, please make inquiries by:
- Mail: Harsh Collection, Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State Street, 5th Floor, Chicago, Illinois, 60605
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (312) 745-2080
We will answer all inquiries within three business days. Requested materials will be made available for research on the 5th floor of Harold Washington Library Center.
To accommodate the retrieval of requested materials, we ask that all research requests be made at least three weeks in advance of your visit. See Archival Collections for a list of all CPL collections and finding aids.
Please note, some materials may not be available for transport to Harold Washington Library Center and would not be available until Woodson Regional Library reopens in 2017.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
About the Harsh Collection
The largest African American history and literature collection in the Midwest, the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature documents the black experience with a strong focus on Chicago.
Archival Collections has a list of all CPL collections and finding aids.
- Phone: (312) 745-2080
Areas of Interest
We have photographs, manuscripts and books about African American:
- Civil rights
Additional materials focus on:
- African history
- African religion
- African politics
We also have African American newspapers, magazines and journals, and rare books and manuscripts.
Using Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection
We welcome visitors during our open hours and by appointment.
Given the special nature of our materials, we ask you to conform to security and handling precautions:
- Complete a registration form and present valid photo ID before receiving materials.
- Use materials only in the Reading Room.
- Contact us in advance of your visit if you are interested in unprocessed collections.
- Chicago History: Explore the rich tapestry of Chicago history at CPL.
- Archival Collections: A list of CPL collections and finding aids
- Digital Collections: Chicago images, newspapers and more
- Northside Neighborhood History Collection at Sulzer Regional Library
- Special Collections at Harold Washington Library Center