Your Future Woodson Regional Library: Construction Plans
Woodson Regional Library is closed for construction. The building is expected to reopen in early 2018.
- A complete building envelope replacement including new roof, exterior walls and windows
- Upgrades to flooring, lighting and paint in lobby and other public areas
- Build out of new early childhood space
- Updated guardrails and handrails on monumental stairway
- Construction of two study rooms on the 2nd floor
- Addition of two parking spots for people with disabilities
Other Recent Improvements
- New YOUmedia space for teens built in 2015
- Lighting and ceiling replacement
- Fire alarm system upgrade
- Washington Heights
- South Side
- Carter G. Woodson Regional Library opened December 19, 1975 in a two-story building housing the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature, the largest collection of its kind in the Midwest.
- In 1998, an 11,000-square-foot wing was added to expand the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection. The expanded collection opened January 25, 1999.
- The library was named for Dr. Carter G. Woodson, known as the father of African American historiography. A prolific writer and founder of the Association for the Study of Negro History and Life, Woodson made numerous contributions to the study of African American history and culture.
- In 1926, he proposed and established an annual observance, Negro History Week, which grew into the nationally celebrated African American History Month held each February.
- a sculpture entitled “Jacob’s Ladder” by Richard Hunt
- Woodson Regional Library also features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program, including:
- a print entitled “Stowage” by Willie Cole
- a mural entitled “Hope in the Community” by Aoko Omwony-Hope
- a sculpture entitled “Tempest” by Charles Searles
- a sculpture entitled “Hopibara” by Bernard Williams