Calling kids 0 to 5 to get up and go to your neighborhood library from June 20 to September 1 for Rahm's Little Readers Summer Learning Challenge!
During the drop-in Summer Learning Challenge, CPL locations offer new books about all modes of transportation, hundreds of family programs, art projects, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) activities and many more ways for kids to keep their brains active. A survey of parents last summer showed that 95 percent felt this program helped their young children be better prepared to start school!
Complete the Challenge
Pick up an early literacy log and booklet at any CPL location. Then complete the challenge:
- TALK: Talk with your child all day long; visit the Museum of Science and Industry or another museum and talk about what you see.
- SING: Listen to music while your do activities with your child. Try singing I'm a Little Choo Choo Train.
- READ: Read 20 minutes a day, every day. Read 500 minutes to reach the goal. Books, magazines, eBooks, audiobooks—all reading counts!
- WRITE: Pretend your finger is an airplane and write letters in the sky, have your child practice writing their name.
- PLAY: Build a car out of a box, then play Red Light, Green Light.
- ACHIEVE: Read for 500 minutes and complete any two Talk, Sing, Write or Play activities to earn a book bag!
- Then keep talking, singing, reading, writing and playing to be entered into a raffle for an eReader.
Kids 5 to 13 can participate in Rahm's Readers.
About Rahm's Readers
Kids 0 to 5 who register for the Summer Learning Challenge receive a free book from KPMG. All children who register receive 12 books courtesy of Bernie's Book Bank and are eligible to win even more free books and passes to Brookfield Zoo through weekly raffles. Parents and caregivers can enter a tech package raffle by reflecting on the learning they do with their kids. Free books are available while supplies last. Thanks to Bernie's Book Bank, KPMG and Emerald City Theatre Company we will be giving away 1 million books this summer.
Talk, Sing, Read, Write and Play skills are recommended through Every Child Ready to Read® @ your library®, a program of the Association for Library Service to Children and Public Library Association, divisions of the American Library Association.
Rahm’s Readers is in partnership with the Museum of Science and Industry, along with the City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District, Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Department of Aviation, Chicago Sister Cities International, Bernie's Book Bank, Art Institute of Chicago and Emerald City Theater.
Rahm’s Readers is made possible by Boeing, The James & Madeleine McMullan Family Foundation, KPMG, William Blair, Dr. Scholl Foundation, Helen M. Harrison Foundation, United, Walter E. Heller Foundation, Hyatt, Cubs Care, RR Donnelley, Field Foundation of Illinois, PNC Bank, Daniel F. and Ada Rice Foundation, Verizon and 93.9MYfm, through the Chicago Public Library Foundation.