Kids 13 and under, get up and go to your neighborhood library from June 20 to September 1 as we Explore on the Go! with Rahm's Readers Summer Learning Challenge!
During the drop-in Summer Learning Challenge, CPL locations offer new books about all modes of transportation, hundreds of family programs, art projects, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) activities and many more ways for kids to keep their brains active.
Complete the Challenge
Kids 5 to 13, start by printing your very own Summer Learning Challenge Log or by registering at any CPL location. Then complete the challenge:
- READ: Read 20 minutes a day, every day. Read anything you want including books, magazines, eBooks and audiobooks for at least 500 minutes—all reading counts!
- DISCOVER: Complete a Brain Game or other STEAM activity, attend a library program, visit a museum or explore a website.
- CREATE: Complete a design challenge, draw, write or build a piece of art.
- ACHIEVE: Kids who read for 500 minutes, complete one discover activity and one create activity by September 1 will receive a book bag!
- Keep reading and learning to be entered into a raffle for an eReader.
Kids 0 to 5 can participate in Rahm's Little Readers.
About Rahm's Readers
School-age kids, enter our Away We Go contest to win a bag of books. All children who register receive 12 books courtesy of Bernie's Book Bank and are eligible to win even more free books and passes to Brookfield Zoo through weekly raffles. Parents and caregivers can enter a tech package raffle by reflecting on the learning they do with their kids. Free books are available while supplies last. Thanks to Bernie's Book Bank, KPMG and Emerald City Theatre Company, we will be giving away 1 million books this summer.
Rahm’s Readers is in partnership with the Museum of Science and Industry, along with the City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District, Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Department of Aviation, Chicago Sister Cities International, Bernie's Book Bank, Art Institute of Chicago and Emerald City Theater.
Rahm’s Readers is made possible by Boeing, The James & Madeleine McMullan Family Foundation, KPMG, William Blair, Dr. Scholl Foundation, Helen M. Harrison Foundation, United, Walter E. Heller Foundation, Hyatt, Cubs Care, RR Donnelley, Field Foundation of Illinois, PNC Bank, Daniel F. and Ada Rice Foundation, Verizon and 93.9MYfm, through the Chicago Public Library Foundation.