The Knowledge Ninja is looking for kindergartners through second-graders to complete this challenge and become Knowledge Ninjas. Use your ninja skills to investigate, then answer the questions below by September 29 to be entered in a raffle to win a prize to help you continue your ninja training. Watch for more challenges coming soon!
The days are getting shorter and the weather is getting cooler: That must mean fall is coming! Fall starts with the Autumnal Equinox, which generally happens on September 22 or 23, and ends with the Winter Solstice, on December 21 or 22. Fall is a time when plants and animals prepare for the winter to come—trees lose their leaves and animals gather food.
Awesome Autumn: Leaves change color, birds fly south and animals get ready to hibernate—autumn is awesome!
Want to learn more? Check out our complete list of recommended fall titles.
- Autumn in Three Communities: See how kids in the city, the suburbs and the country experience fall.
- Eat Up, Animals!: How do animals prepare for winter?
- Equinox: World Book for Kids explains the spring and fall equinoxes.
- Jump into Fall!: Find out how leaves show the change in seasons.
- Time to Travel: Why do some animals migrate during the fall months?
- Fall into Winter: Find out how you can help wildlife in your neighborhood get ready for winter.
- Hibernating Animals: Time for Kids explains why animals hibernate.
- Top Ten Most Amazing Migrations: Which animal has a longer migration than their life span?
- What Causes the Seasons?: Learn the science behind the change in seasons.
- Why Do Leaves Change Color?: Where do leaves get their color from?
- At home or school, search the catalog using these keywords: autumn, migration, leaves and harvest festivals.
- At the library, check these call numbers for more books: QB637.7 and QK649.