When Suzy's best friend dies, she can't accept that fact that "sometimes things just happen." To work through her grief, she uses the scientific method to prove that Franny, who was an excellent swimmer, could not have drowned but must have been stung by the world's deadliest jellyfish.
Told through flashbacks and Suzy's scientific research, The Thing About Jellyfish, is the first novel by Ali Benjamin, January's Author of the Month.
Questions and Activities
- Suzy used the scientific method to conduct her research. What is the scientific method?
- How does a jellyfish sting work?
- Are Irukandji jellyfish real? What is the world's deadliest jellyfish?
- Who is Dhugal Lindsay and what did he discover?
- Was Diana Nyad the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida?
- Learn what led Angel Yanaginara to find a cure for jellyfish stings.
- Find out why Jamie Seymour is the leading expert in Irukandji jellyfish.
- Make your own jellyfish in a bottle.
- Looking for more books like The Thing About Jellyfish? Try these readalikes.
Learn more about this month's Author of the Month in our Q&A with Benjamin about her writing process.