- Pullman Branch was built in 1927 and was originally part of the campus of Pullman School of Manual Training just west of the historic Pullman Factory.
- The widow of George Mortimer Pullman (1831-1897), railroad tycoon and founder of the town of Pullman, donated the land and building funds to the City of Chicago.
- A.F. Hussander designed the branch. The brick and terra cotta facades were designed in the classical style, using Corinthian plasters, bracketed cornices and ornamental spandrels depicting open books.
- The branch was rededicated July 30, 1994 after undergoing a major renovation.
- Pullman Branch features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program, including:
- a painting entitled “Jazz: Still a Four-Letter Word” by Orisegun Olomidun
- a mosaic entitled “Come Journey Through Corridors of Treasures” by Nina Smoot-Cain and Kiela Songhay Smith
- a mural by Bernard Williams