- Hegewisch Branch was dedicated December 7, 1991.
- It is named for Adolph Hegewisch, president of U.S. Rolling Stock Company, who hoped to establish “an ideal workingman's community” in the area that eventually became the Hegewisch neighborhood.
- Hegewisch Branch features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program:
- watercolors entitled “Composition in Grey and Black” and “Composition in Red” by Judy Ledgerwood
- a sculpture entitled “Cleat” by Neil Goodman
- a painting by Richard Hull
- a drawing by David Kroll