- Chicago Bee Branch opened in the Chicago Bee building in May 1996.
- The building was built between 1929 and 1932. It was designed in the art deco style and financed by Anthony Overton (1865-1946), a community businessman and entrepreneur.
- Overton published the Chicago Bee, a Bronzeville community newspaper, and marketed African American beauty products.
- Chicago Bee Branch features artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program:
- a painting by Gregg Spears
- a sculpture by Derek Webster
- photographs by Carrie Mae Weems