44th Mayor of Chicago
- December 2, 1987; elected by the City Council to serve as acting mayor
- December 2, 1987: Acceptance Speech
Term of Office
- September 3, 1934
- Greensboro, Ala.
- 1956: Graduated from Alabama State University with a degree in chemistry
- 1957: After moving to Chicago, started working for city Sewer Department
- 1971: Elected 6th Ward alderman
- After leaving office, he operated a company focusing first on energy, later on wholesale tobacco
- Survived by wife Veronica and three children
- January 19, 2008
- Oak Woods Cemetery, Chicago
- Chicago Tribune, January 21, 2008, p. 1+.
- Chicago Tribune, January 22, 2008, sec. 2, p. 3.