David Duvall Orr
43rd Mayor of Chicago
- Served as interim mayor (following the death of Mayor Harold Washington) from November 25 to December 2, 1987, when the City Council elected Eugene Sawyer as acting mayor.
- November 25, 1987: Inaugural Remarks
Term of Office
- October 4, 1944
- Bloomington, Ill.
- Married to Loretta, a nurse at Cook County Hospital; together they have four children
- Graduated from Simpson College, Indianola, Iowa, and Case Western University, Cleveland
- Worked as assistant professor of history and urban affairs at Mundelein College, Chicago
- 1979: Elected 49th Ward alderman, twice re-elected
- 1991: Elected Cook County Clerk, still holds office
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- Chicago Tribune, February 28, 1979, p. 1.
- “About David Orr.” David Orr. 2008.