William Butler Ogden
First Mayor of Chicago
Frank, S.B. Chicago: Memorable Events and the Mayors We’ve Had. S.B. Frank, 1894. SPE CCW 41/14
“I was born close to a saw mill, was early left an orphan, christened in a millpond, graduated at a log school house, and at 14 fancied I could do any thing I turned my hand to, and that nothing was impossible…”
— W.B. Ogden
- May 2, 1837
- Defeated John H. Kinzie (Whig)
Term of Office
- June 15, 1805
- Walton, N.Y.
- 1834: Elected to the Legislature of New York
- 1860: Elected to the Illinois Senate
- 1875: Married Miss Mariana Arnot
- August 3, 1877
- Fordham Heights, N.Y.
- Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, N.Y.
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.