John Patrick Hopkins
29th Mayor of Chicago
Notable Men of Illinois & Their State. Chicago Daily Journal, 1912.
- December 19, 1893
- Defeated Michael Britzius (Socialist), George B. Swift (Republican) and Ebenezer Wakely (People’s Party)
- December 27, 1893: Inaugural Address
Term of Office
- October 29, 1858
- Buffalo, N.Y.
- 1880: Worked as a machinist with the Pullman Palace Car Co.
- 1888: Started the Arcade Trading Co., which later became the Secord and Hopkins Co.
- Chicago’s first Irish Catholic mayor
- Held many positions in national Democratic party
- Never married
- Died of influenza while State Council of Defense
- October 13, 1918
- Calvary Cemetery, Chicago
- Chicago Daily Tribune, October 14, 1918, p. 13.
- Chicago Daily Tribune, October 17, 1918, p. 5.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.