15th Mayor of Chicago
Frank, S.B. Chicago: Memorable Events and the Mayors We’ve Had. S.B. Frank, 1894. SPE CCW 41/14
- Pro-Nebraska Democrat
- March 10, 1856
- Defeated Francis C. Sherman (Anti-Nebraska Democrat)
- March 11, 1856: Inaugural Address
Term of Office
- January 13, 1805
- Canton, Conn.
- Son of a Revolutionary War officer
- Worked in mercantile pursuits and then in packing and shipping grain
- Served one term in the Legislature and twice as a delegate to the National Democratic Convention
- Was president of the Chicago Chamber of Commerce
- Was first married to Miss Adaline Hopkins, with whom he had one son, and subsequently was married to the widow of Elijah K. Hubbard, with whom he had no children
- June 6, 1862
- Middletown, Conn.
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Chicago Tribune, June 11, 1862, p. 4.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.