Levi Day Boone
14th Mayor of Chicago
Frank, S.B. Chicago: Memorable Events and the Mayors We’ve Had. S.B. Frank, 1894. SPE CCW 41/14
- March 8, 1855
- Defeated Isaac L. Milliken (Democrat)
- March 13, 1855: Inaugural Address
Term of Office
- December 8, 1808
- Lexington, Ky.
- Nephew of Daniel Boone
- 1833: Married Louisa M. Smith, daughter of State Supreme Court Justice Theophilus W. Smith, with whom he had 11 children
- Dr. Boone was the city physician for a number of years.
- The “lager-beer riots” occurred while he was mayor.
- Worked in the insurance business when ill health prevented him from practicing medicine
- Was held under military arrest for assisting a prisoner escape from Camp Douglas; he was later cleared of charges
- Served eight years as alderman of the 2nd Ward
- January 24, 1882
- Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Chicago Daily Tribune, January 25, 1882, p. 3.
- Chicago Daily Tribune, January 27, 1882, p. 6.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.