Get inspired by an inventor or invention that you learn about at the library. Then create something new for your library or school during the Spring Learning Challenge from April 7 to April 24.
To complete the challenge:
- Read anything you want for 20 minutes a day for at least 5 days.
- Draw or write about an invention that you discover and create.
Keep track of your progress in the Spring Learning Challenge log (Spring Learning Challenge log in Spanish). Return your log to any CPL location by May 1 to receive a prize. Top inventors will win a special invention kit.
Check out Kids Invent! Recommended Reads to learn about inventors and their amazing inventions. Maybe you’ll be inspired to make your own.
Whoosh! Find out how the Super Soaker was accidentally invented by Lonnie Johnson.
Girls Think of Everything and have invented plenty of things we use every day, from disposable diapers to chocolate chip cookies to windshield wipers.
Discover and Create
- Challenge yourself to design something new with inspiration from kid inventors and the PBS Design Squad.
- Build something from Sylvia’s Mini Maker Show. Super-Awesome Sylvia will show how kids like you can safely make cool stuff.
- Explore, make and share games, things that go and much more through Google's virtual Maker Camp.
- Thomas Edison was a great inventor, but could you work in his lab? Find out by taking Edison's Mental Fitness Test.
- Stop by an Invention-ation with Mad Science of Chicago program.
- Visit the Museum of Science and Industry to see how inventions have changed history.
- Be an engineer at one of our Family Science Nights and invent something new. Dream, play and invent!
- Anyone can be an inventor! Learn about some incredible young inventors using the KidSearch Database.