We're proud to announce the Grand Reopening of Carter G. Woodson Regional Library and Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection, 9525 S. Halsted Street in the Washington Heights community. The largest African American history and literature collection in the Midwest, the Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature documents the black experience with a strong focus on Chicago.
Please join us for a grand reopening celebration from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, February 17. Take a guided tour of the new exterior and renovated interior spaces and the new exhibit Celebrating the Legacy of Vivian G. Harsh, hear musical performances, and enjoy storytelling programs and more throughout the day.
Share favorite Woodson memory and photos from the celebration on social media using #WelcomeBackWoodson.
- A complete building envelope replacement including new roof, exterior walls and windows
- Upgrades to flooring, lighting and paint in lobby and other public areas
- Build out of new early childhood space
- Updated guardrails and handrails on monumental stairway
- Construction of two study rooms on the 2nd floor
- Addition of two parking spots for people with disabilities
- New YOUmedia space for teens built in 2015
- Lighting and ceiling replacement
- Fire alarm system upgrade