Save the date to celebrate Family History Month with Genealogy and Family History Day on October 21 at Harold Washington Library Center.
- Chicago Genealogy 101 with Grace DuMelle: Learn about the challenges of searching for your Windy City relations; look for address and street name changes and search historical newspapers. Discover geographic and government sources—fire insurance maps, probate cases and inquest records—that can open a window into your ancestors' world.
- Looking for European Roots with Caron Brennan: If you're ready to "cross the pond" in your research, this presentation offers you ideas of where to find European records.
- DNA Tests Results: A Power Tool in the Genealogist's Toolbox with Karen Stanbary: Learn the many different ways that DNA test results can confirm and advance documentary research.
- Breaking Through Your Brick Wall with Melisa Limonowski: Have you just started researching your family? Or are you well into your research, but have gotten stuck along the way? This event is for you.
These events run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Ask a Genealogist: Professional genealogists and librarians are available for short, one-on-one consultations.
- Photo Scanning with Project Backup: Get up to 10 photos scanned to a USB device (provided free of charge).
Genealogy & Family History Expo: Speak with representatives from:
- NARA Great Lakes
- Chicago Genealogical Society
- Polish Genealogical Society
- Balzekas Museum
- National Hellenic Museum
- Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society
- Computer Assisted Genealogical Group of Northern Illinois
- Archdiocese of Chicago Archives and Records Center
- Czech & Slovak American Genealogical Society
- Illinois State Genealogical Society
- Newberry Library
- Vivian G. Harsh Collection at Woodson Regional Library and Patricia Liddell Researchers