Travel to the outer limits of space at your neighborhood library from June 8 through September 1 as we Explore and Soar through Rahm's Readers Summer Learning Challenge!
This free, drop-in program is for kids 13 and under. During the Summer Learning Challenge, CPL locations will offer new books about outer space and space travel, hundreds of family programs, art projects, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) activities and many more ways for kids to keep their brains active.
Kids 5 to 13 can start today start by printing your very own Summer Learning Challenge Log or by registering at any CPL location. Then complete the challenge:
- READ: 20 minutes a day, every day. Read 500 minutes to reach the goal. Books, magazines, eBooks, audiobooks — all reading counts!
- DISCOVER: Complete a Brain Game or other STEAM project; visit the Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planetarium or another museum; attend a library program; or explore an interactive learning website.
- CREATE: Create a piece of art; complete a Challenge Card with our Curiosity Kits; write a story or poem; design or build something.
- ACHIEVE: Kids who read for 500 minutes, complete one discover activity and one create activity by August 1 will receive a glow-in-the-dark book bag!
- Keep reading and learning to be entered into a raffle for an eReader.
Explore More! from August 1 to September 1: Read 20 minutes a day and complete five activities to receive a prize.
School-age learners are can join our First Contact contest to win a bag of books. All children are eligible to win free books and passes to the Brookfield Zoo through weekly raffles. Parents and caregivers can enter a tech package raffle by reflecting on the learning they do with their children.
Have an out-of-this-world summer with Explore and Soar!
Rahm’s Readers is in partnership with the City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District, Chicago Public Schools, the Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planetarium, Chicago City of Learning and the Big Shoulders Fund.
Rahm’s Readers is made possible by Boeing, The James & Madeleine McMullan Family Foundation, KPMG, Dr. Scholl Foundation, Helen M. Harrison Foundation, Macy’s, RPM Advertising, RR Donnelley, Peggy & Steve Fossett Foundation, Peoples Gas, Cubs Care and the McCormick Foundation and Motorola Solutions Foundation, through the Chicago Public Library Foundation.