Chicago Public Library offers music practice rooms for use by the public at the Harold Washington Library Center. Music practice rooms accommodate one or ten people.
- Book a small or chamber music practice room at the Harold Washington Library Center.
Applicants may book music practice rooms up to one week in advance and up to four hours per week.
To promote the accessibility of music practice rooms to a wide variety of users, the Library may limit the number or length of music practice room reservations during any time period for any applicant. The Library also reserves the right to place additional limitations on the use of music practice rooms at the Harold Washington Library Center due to varying demands.
Use of the Library’s music practice rooms does not constitute the Chicago Public Library’s endorsement of viewpoints expressed by the room’s occupants. Advertisements or announcements implying such endorsement are not permitted.
All applicants should be aware that the Chicago Human Rights Ordinance prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, disability, age (over 40), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, military discharge status and source of income.
Failure to comply with Library policy or music practice room use guidelines may result in the denial of subsequent requests for music practice room use.
Guidelines for Use
- Music practice rooms shall not be used in any way that interferes with regular library services and operations, or which causes a threat to the safety of library employees, patrons or property.
- Music practice rooms are available for use only during regular service hours on days the Library is open.
- All persons using Music practice rooms must comply with CPL’s Library Use Guidelines.
- No entrance fee may be charged, no collection may be taken and no purchase may be required by groups in Music practice rooms.
- Applicant must present valid proof of identification at time of check-in.
- Applicant is responsible for supervision of all children.
- Applicant shall leave the room, equipment and instruments in good working order.
- Applicant is welcome to bring their own acoustic instruments to use in the music practice room. Amplifiers and drums of any kind are not permitted
- Applicant and his/her organization or ensemble agree to pay for damages to the music practice room or to Library property resulting from music practice room use.
- The number of persons in a music practice room may not exceed the established capacity of the room.
- All ensembles, organizations, groups or individuals shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Chicago Public Library and City of Chicago, its officers, agents, and employees from and against any and all claims, suits, actions of any kind, arising and resulting and accruing from any negligent act, omission or error of the ensemble, organization or group resulting in or relating to personal injuries or property damage arising from the ensemble/organization/group/individual’s use of the Library music practice room.