Woodlawn Woman’s Club Records

Dates: 1917-1954
Size: 1 linear foot, 2 photographs, 1 oversize folder
Repository: Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Special Collections, 400 S. State St., Chicago, IL 60605
Collection Number: Archives_WWC
Provenance: The WWC collection was processed by the Special Collections Division of Chicago Public Library and transferred from the Woodlawn Branch Library to the Special Collections Division for archival storage. Funding this project was provided by a grant form the Scholl Foundation. Under the grant’s guidelines, steps were taken to insure standard archival administration of this collection. Originally collected by the Historical Society of Woodlawn, the Papers of the WWC are now a separate collection and available for research at the Special Collections Division. Selected items from the WWC collection are also available at the Chicago Public Library’s Woodlawn Branch.
Access: No restrictions
Citation: When quoting material from this collection the preferred citation is: Woodlawn Woman’s Club Records [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections, Chicago Public Library.

Historical Note

During the late winter months of 1895, Mrs. Corrine S. Brown, inspired by the spirit of "get-together-ness" engendered by the World’s Columbian Exposition 1893, began planning for an organization for Woodlawn’s women. A preliminary meeting was held February 4, 1895 in the parlor of Dr. Katherine Clapp’s home on Woodlawn Avenue. Forty interested women attended this meeting and resolved that, "for the promotion of sympathetic unity of feeling and purpose, closer association, and the power of cooperating successfully, we favor the organization of a Women’s Club in Woodlawn." Two weeks later, four hundred attended the Woodlawn’s Woman’s Club inaugural meeting held at the Colonial Hotel on February 18, 1895. By the end of its first year, the Woodlawn Woman’s Club (WWC) had incorporated with the State of Illinois, associated with the Illinois Federation of Women’s Clubs, and recruited over 250 members.

The WWC adopted as its objectives, "mutual counsel and sympathy, unity of action in case of need, and a promotion of higher social, moral, and educational conditions." The WWC formed seven sections to carry out its program. These were: the home, literature and science, art and music, education, reform, philanthropy and recreation. By 1954, the last year for which records exist for this collection, WWC membership had dropped to approximately fifty members.

Scope and Content

The Records of the WWC consist of administrative records, newspaper clippings, speeches, photographs and a nearly complete set of WCC directories from 1913 to 1954.

Series Descriptions:

Series 1: Administrative Records, 1927 - 1931

One bound volume containing WWC’s minutes of meetings from January 1927 to November 1931.

Series 2: Newspaper clippings, undated

Several newspaper clippings exist that document WWC activities. One clipping, in the Oversized Collection, contains photographs and a program from a WWC special event.

Series 3: Speeches, undated

This small series consists of a one page address, probably delivered at either a WWC annual meeting or special event.

Series 4: Directories and History

This group of records consists of Woodlawn Woman’s Club Directories from 1913 to 1954 and a bound volume by Louise J. Pearson titled, History of the Woodlawn Woman’s Club. The directories and Ms. Pearson’s monograph are arranged chronologically.

Series 5: Photographs

The photographs include an individual member and a group shot.

Container List

Series 1: Administrative Records

Box 1 Folder 1 Minute Book: Jan. 25, 1927 - Nov. 17, 1931. Bound volume.

Series 2: Newspaper clippings

Box 1 Folder 2 Newspaper clippings: undated
Oversize 1 Program of the Women’s Conference on Current Problems. Newspaper clipping, [1924?] Feb. 26-27.

Series 3: Speeches

Box 1 Folder 3 Manuscript of speech: undated

Series 4: Directories and History

Box 2 Folder 1 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1913-1922.
Box 2 Folder 2 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1922-1933.
Box 2 Folder 3 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1933-1942.
Box 2 Folder 4 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1923-1924.
Box 2 Folder 5 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1926-1927.
Box 2 Folder 6 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1929-1930.
Box 2 Folder 7 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1930-1931.
Box 2 Folder 8 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1935-1936.
Box 2 Folder 9 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1938-1939
Box 2 Folder 10 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1942-1943
Box 2 Folder 11 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1943-1944
Box 2 Folder 12 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1944-1945
Box 2 Folder 13 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1945-1946
Box 2 Folder 14 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1946-1947
Box 2 Folder 15 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1947-1948
Box 2 Folder 16 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1948-1950
Box 2 Folder 17 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1949-1950
Box 2 Folder 18 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1950-1951
Box 2 Folder 19 Directory - Woodlawn Woman’s Club: 1953-1954
Box 2 Folder 20 History of the Woodlawn Woman’s Club, by Louise J. Pearson: circa 1917. 2 copies. [additional copy at Woodlawn Branch Library]

Series 5: Photographs

Portraits

Photograph 1.1 Cornelius, Mrs. Charles S., circa 1915-1917

Clubs & Organizations

Photograph 1.2 Woodlawn Woman’s Club, group photo, 1909
Print