|Repository:||Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Special Collections, 400 S. State Street, Chicago, IL 60605|
|Provenance:||Donated by Miriam Hack in 2017|
|Access:||Researchers, please request this material 24 hours in advance of use|
|Citation:||When quoting material from this collection the preferred citation is: Michael Philippi Models, Special Collections, Chicago Public Library|
|Processed by:||Sarah Zimmerman, 2017|
Michael Philippi (1951-2009) was born in Appleton, WI where he began creating set designs at a young age at James Madison Junior High School. He later attended the University of Wisconsin, and worked as a professional scenic and lighting designer for theaters nationwide in addition to teaching lighting design at DePaul University.
Much of his work was realized on the stages of Chicago theaters including Northlight, Court, Remains, St. Nicholas, Chicago Opera and Chicago Shakespeare, as well as other Midwest regionals. At Wisdom Bridge Theatre, he worked with director Robert Falls where his scenic and lighting designs earned him Jeff Awards for Terra Nova (1984) and In the Belly of the Beast (1983).
He continued his work with Falls and others on numerous productions at the Goodman Theatre including Desire Under the Elms, Death of a Salesman and The Speed of Darkness, all of which transferred to Broadway. Other Goodman credits include King Lear, Finishing the Picture, A Life in the Theatre, Heartbreak House, Blue Surge, Boy Gets Girl, Somebody Else’s House, On the Open Road and Pal Joey.
Philippi’s successful designs earned him multiple Jeff Award nominations and wins. He was also the recipient of two Hollywood Drama-Logue Awards.
Scope and Content Note
The Michael Philippi Models consist of two partial set models for productions staged at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago.
Models are listed chronologically.
- Candlelight Dinner Playhouse/Forum Theater Collection
- Goodman Theatre Archive
- Northlight Theater Collection
- Organic Theater Collection
- St. Nicholas Theatre Collection
- Wisdom Bridge Theater Collection
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Madison, WI (Philippi’s papers and the majority of his records are housed in Madison at the University of Wisconsin.)
- Goodman Theatre (Chicago, Ill.)
- Philippi, Michael -- Archives.
- Theatres -- Models -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Theatres -- Stage-setting and Scenery -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Stage Lighting Designers -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Set Designers -- Illinois -- Chicago.
|Box 1||2017-82||Set model, The Iceman Cometh, Act 3, 2 pieces and detached furniture and props, mixed media, circa 1990. Set designed by John Conklin. Philippi was associate set designer for this production.|
|Box 1||2017-81||Set model, Joe Turner’s Come and Gone, 3 pieces, mixed media, circa 1991. Set designed by Michael Philippi.|