|Size:||0.25 linear feet, 1 scrapbook|
|Repository:||Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Special Collections, 400 S. State St., Chicago, IL 60605|
|Provenance:||The material comprising the Girl Scouts of America, Troop #427 Records was donated to the Lawndale-Crawford Historical Association by Mrs. Mildred Stekl, troop leader for over 30 years. The papers were processed as part of a local history grant to the Chicago Public Library, Special Collections Division from the Dr. Scholl Foundation, and made available for research in March 1983.|
|Citation:||When quoting material from this collection the preferred citation is: Girl Scouts of America Troop #427 Records [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections, Chicago Public Library.|
Girl Scout Troop #427 was organized in October of 1939, according to Mrs. Stekl, as a means to "help develop happy and well-adjusted girls who can use their energies, skills and talents efficiently to help others and serve their community." The girls of troop #427 were the first girl scouts in the Lawndale-Crawford area, and their meetings were held weekly at the Lawndale Boys Club.
Troop #427 was very active right from its inception. The activities the girls participated in during their first year as scouts included such things as socials with other troops, hobby shows, various ceremonies and programs, as well as numerous visits to hospitals and nursing homes.
Throughout the years, as membership in the troop grew, the girls became involved in more and more activities. During World War II, they held many rallies to raise money for war bonds, and adopted a number of servicemen to whom they wrote letters and sent packages. The girls also worked closely with various organizations such as the March of Dimes, and the Red Cross, as well as other girls scout and boy scouts troops to raise money for different causes, as they continue to do today.
Scope and Content
The papers that comprise the Girl Scouts of America, Troop #427 Collection, reflect the active participation and involvement of the scouts in the Lawndale-Crawford community, through brochures, correspondence, minute books, play scripts and programs. The files are arranged in alphabetical order by type of material.
One photographic scrapbook has been removed from the collection. The scrapbook contains approximately 305 photographs of the girls of troop #427 at various events and programs and covers the years 1941-1966. Though the scrapbook is placed in its own box, it is still maintained with the manuscript collection. See Box 2.
|Box 1||Folder 1||Brochure, Daisy Low of the Girl Scouts, 1954|
|Box 1||Folder 2||Brochure, Flags of All Nations 1953|
|Box 1||Folder 3||Certificate of recognition, 1944|
|Box 1||Folder 4||Certificates of registration, 1942-1947|
|Box 1||Folder 5||Correspondence, 1942-1945|
|Box 1||Folder 6||Correspondence, 1953, 1960, undated|
|Box 1||Folder 7||Historical sketches, 1954|
|Box 1||Folder 8||Insignia, circa 1960s|
|Box 1||Folder 9||Laws and Promise, circa 1945|
|Box 1||Folder 10||Minute book, May 21, 1948-June 12, 1957|
|Box 1||Folder 11||News clipping, 1942|
|Box 1||Folder 12||Play scripts, 1946, 1949|
|Box 1||Folder 13||Play scripts, 1951, 1963|
|Box 1||Folder 14||Programs, 1949, 1952, 1963|
|Box 1||Folder 15||Programs, 1964-1966, 1971|
|Box 1||Folder 16||Song lyrics, circa 1940-1960|
|Box 2||Scrapbook, 1941-1966|