That Is NOT A Good Idea! by Mo Willems is a suspense-filled animal tale with a surprise ending. Find out who else can outsmart the fox in these hair-raising tales:
Hattie and the Fox: Hattie's warnings go unheeded by the bored farm animals.
My Lucky Day: Fox thinks he's pretty lucky when a friendly pig shows up on his doorstep at lunchtime.
Rosie's Walk: Rosie's stroll around the barnyard followed by an accident prone fox.
Make some quick finger puppets to recreate all the drama from That is NOT a Good Idea! at home.
- You will need some square sticky notes and pencils, pens, markers or crayons for drawing.
- Hold a sticky note in each hand with the sticky sides facing you. Keep the sticky edges on the left.
- Stick the two notes together so that the sticky edge of each note attaches to the non-sticky edge of the other. You should end up with the sticky notes stuck together at the left and right edges but not attached in the middle.
- Draw a character on the puppet. We drew one of the chicks from the book using lines and simple shapes like circles, triangles and ovals.
- Your puppet is done! Insert your pointer finger into the hole at the bottom of the sticky notes and use your puppet to tell a story.
- Make puppets for all of the characters in the book and retell the whole story with someone else. Can you think of another story to tell using the same characters? Try to create a completely new story with characters of your own and act it out using puppets.
- Make a cereal box puppet theater and pencil puppets to showcase your puppet show production!
Share your creations with us and earn an entry in our monthly raffle! Email a photo of what you created to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post your photo on Flickr and enter you in our monthly book raffle.
Bookamania is made possible by a generous grant from Target Corporation through the Chicago Public Library Foundation.