Do you love fashion? Do you love putting together looks or sewing your own designs? Do you love drawing fashion designs but haven’t had the chance to bring your ideas to life? Do you make jewelry or love creating new make-up looks?
Apply to be part of CPL Radical Fit’s Fashion Incubator with Sky Cubacub of Rebirth Garments. Sky Cubacub is a Chicago based fashion designer and chainmaille artist that creates wearables for queer, trans and disabled folks of all sizes and ages.
By participating in the Fashion Incubator, the Chicago Public Library will pay you to create your very own make-up, jewelry or fashion collection! The incubator includes up to 10 mentorship sessions with Sky Cubacub to help you bring your own collection to life. Before applying, make sure you can attend the incubator sessions and final event listed below.
- Where: Lincoln Belmont Library, 1659 W. Melrose Street
- When: Tuesdays, 5-7 p.m., May 9th - July 18th
- Final event: 5-8 p.m. Thursday, July 20 at Ping Tom Memorial Park, 1700 S. Wentworth Ave.
- Up to $250 in supplies per student
- $500 upon completion of the program
- Students keep all the garments they make during the program
- Ventra cards will be provided at the first session to assist with travel to/from each following session
Final designs will be exhibited at the Queer Radical Fair in July. Students that are selected for the incubator must participate in at least 5 of the 10 sessions with Sky and the final event in order to receive an honorarium for their participation.
The fashion incubator will take place at Lincoln Belmont branch. This library has double doors with no middle post, straight across from the entrance, which also has double doors with no middle post. The space is right next to wheelchair accessible bathrooms. Rebirth Garments will bring tables that can be lowered to different heights, air purifiers, ear protection and various cutting tools.
There is one accessible parking space available in front of the building along Melrose Street and one accessible parking space in the parking lot on the east side of the building.
- Who: High school students between ages 13 to 19 who live in Chicago.
- What: Submit a portfolio of 3 to 10 original works along with a statement of intent
- When: Submit your portfolio before April 30
- Where: The form below!
Portfolio submissions must contain 3 to 10 original creative works that reflect your interest in fashion and style. Submissions can include fashion, fashion design, styling, make-up, accessory or jewelry design. Acceptable submissions should include finished pieces and designs but can also include process works such as drawings, fabric swatches, mood boards, look-book photographs or works-in-progress.
Your artist statement should give insight into you, your work and your interest in fashion using 500 words or less. Please address the following:
- Discuss your relationship to fashion and style.
- Describe the collection you would like to create during the Fashion Incubator.
- Describe what you would like to learn during the Fashion Incubator and how this will help you with your career goals.
Please let us know your access needs. Rebirth Garments is all about accessibility, so let us know what we can provide during sessions in order to set you up for success!
Apply for Radical Fit’s Fashion Incubator
Thank you for your interest in the Radical Fit Fashion Incubator. The submission deadline has now passed. Final selections will be announced on May 9.