October is Polish American Heritage Month! Join us for special events and exhibits for all ages that focus on Polish culture, history and customs as well as the significant contributions of Polish Americans and Poles.
Our keynote event, Gronik Polish Highlander Children’s Folkloric Ensemble, features a music and dance performance of traditional Highlander culture from the Tatra mountain region of southern Poland. This fun-filled, toe-tapping event for all ages is at 2 p.m. Sunday, October 15 at Sulzer Regional Library.
- Jazz Concert: Grazyna Auguścik and Marlena Dziś: The acclaimed winners of the Outstanding Pole Abroad Award of Poland join forces in a stunning celebration of their Polish heritage in song and verse. Wednesday, October 11 at Harold Washington Library Center.
- Teen Zine Workshop: Celebrating of Polish Heroes: Love zines? Want to know more about zines? Create your own unique zine! Wednesday, October 18 at Kelly Branch.
- Author Event: The Keller Papers with Ellis Goodman: The Chicago author discusses his latest work, a fast-moving espionage. Thursday, October 19 at Albany Park Branch.
- Film Screening: The Zookeeper's Wife: A true story of amazing courage and winner of the Seattle Jewish Film Festival 2017 Audience Choice Award for Best Narrative Feature. Wednesday, October 25 at Harold Washington Library Center.
- Craft Workshops: Handmade Mobiles Workshop with Agnes Wiosna: Engage your imagination and make your own décor hanging ornament using felt, feathers, paper and colorful fabrics. All ages are welcome. Multiple dates and locations.
- Storytelling Performance: Heroines of Polish History and Folklore: Storyteller Lynne Clayton shares the stories of 14th century Polish princess Jadwiga as well as Poland's own Nobel Prize winner (twice!), Maria Sklodowska, better known as Marie Curie. Lynne rounds out the program with folktales of clever girls and smart women. Multiple dates and locations.
Polish American Heritage Month art exhibits at CPL locations around the city highlight the works of artists of Polish descent.
Want to learn more about Polish American heritage and customs? We recommend: