Join us in April for a host of events celebrating National Poetry Month at Chicago Public Library! Check out readings, workshops, open mics and events throughout the month of April, where you can hone your craft and appreciate the talents of fellow Chicagoans. Learn to write elegies and confessional poems, engage with the work of incarcerated artists and learn the ins and outs of promotion and publication.
You won’t want to miss the grand finale, Poetry Fest on Saturday, April 24! This day-long virtual event will feature the 17th annual Haiku Fest, a showcase of poets from across Chicago, a keynote reading from acclaimed poet Nate Marshall and finally, the city-wide open mic we've all been waiting for.
- Teen Poetry Night: 6 p.m. Thursday, April 1
- The Neighborhood Notebook, with i Am Adverb: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 7
- Poetry Writers' Group: 7 p.m. Thursday, April 8
- Give the Audience Your Confession, with Deonte Osayande: 1 p.m. Friday, April 9
- Beyond Grief: Writing the Elegy, with Susanna Lang: 1 p.m. Saturday, April 10
- Beyond the Basics: Making Your Poems Pop, with Chirskira Caillouet: 2 p.m. Saturday, April 10
- Poetry Month Café, 6 p.m. Monday, April 12
- Bringing the Inside Out, with Cean Gamalinda: 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 14
- Live Poets' Night at Pullman Branch: 6 p.m. Thursday, April 15
- ¿Do you Haiku? with Regina Baiocchi: 6 p.m. Thursday, April 15
- Rhyme and Slime Poetry Party: 2 p.m. Friday, April 17
- Poetry East 40th Anniversary Celebration, with Richard Jones and Miles Harvey: 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 21
- 22nd Annual Poetry Fest, with Nate Marshall: 2 p.m. Saturday, April 24
- Express Yourself: Teen Open Mic: 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 28
- Poets of Rogers Park: A Reading and Open Mic, with Patrick Reardon, TJ Jamison, Jasper Abdullah, and John Jenkins: 6 p.m. Wednedsay, April 28
- Positive Vibes: Poem in Your Pocket: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 29
Check our calendar for all our poetry events.
We recommend these poetry books to help celebrate National Poetry Month: