Join Chicago Public Library in April for events celebrating National Poetry Month. Check out readings, workshops, open mics and more where you can hone your craft and appreciate the talents of fellow Chicagoans. This year's theme is Poetry and Music, so be sure to check out our many tuneful programs.
You won’t want to miss the grand finale, Poetry Fest on Saturday, April 30. This day-long event will feature the 17th annual Haiku Fest, a showcase of poets from across Chicago, a keynote reading from acclaimed poet Cathy Park Hong and finally, the city-wide open mic we've all been waiting for.
Visit our calendar for all our poetry events.
- Artful, Eccentric Elegies: 1 p.m. Saturday, April 2
- Seriously Funny with Elizabeth Marino: 2 p.m. Sunday, April 3
- Heaux Tales: Poetic Prompts Inspired by the Jazmine Sullivan Album: 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 5
- Word/Play Workshop: 1 p.m. Saturday, April 9
- Personifying Metaphor: 6 p.m. Monday, April 11
- Kids Got Poetry: 3:30 p.m. Thursday, April 14
- Our Voice, an Ancestral Instrument: 6 p.m. Thursday, April 14
- Live Poets Night: 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 20
- Tallgrass Writers Guild Open Mic: 1 p.m. Saturday, April 23
- Chicago's Music Legacy: 1 p.m. Saturday, April 23
- Voices for Justice: Poet Noor Hindi: 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 27
- Storytime for Adults: Song of Myself: 2 p.m. Thursday, April 28
- TikTok and Poetry: 4 p.m. Thursday, April 28
We recommend these poetry books to help celebrate National Poetry Month: