Celebrate individuals with diverse abilities during Disability Awareness Month in July. CPL is observing the month with events, reading recommendations and an exhibit.
Check out over 50 events in celebration of Disability Awareness Month, including film screenings, book clubs, resource tables at Harold Washington Library Center and much more. Event highlights include:
- Disability Shorts: Life Stages: July 18 at Sulzer Regional Library; part of the Chicago ReelAbilities Film Festival
- We See You Comedy Featuring Ben Noble: July 20 at Harold Washington Library Center
- Tellin’ Tales Theatre’s Young Adult Writers: “Adaptability”: July 21 at Sulzer Regional Library
- Righteous Butterfly: Spoken Word Poetry: July 25 at Harold Washington Library Center
- Disability Shorts: Friends without Barriers: July 25 at Hall Branch; part of the Chicago ReelAbilities Film Festival
Celebration Day on July 20
Look for CPL staff in the Disability Pride Parade on Saturday, July 20. Then stop by Harold Washington Library Center for Celebration Day, featuring three events highlighting pride in diverse abilities.
Explore these great reads in honor of Disability Awareness Month:
- Disability Awareness Month Books for Adults
- Disability Awareness Month Books for Teens
- Disability Awareness Month Books for Kids
We Are… Artwork by Students from Southside Occupational High School is on exhibit through October 6 along the Ida B. Wells Corridor at Harold Washington Library Center. Southside Occupational High School is a transition center for students with disabilities ages 16 to 22.