Join Chicago Public Library in celebrating African American History Month in February. This year, the theme for Black History Month is Black Mental Health and Physical Wellness. We'll explore this theme through events, grab and go craft kits and reading recommendations.
See all our African American History Month events. Highlights include:
- Adult Book Discussion: Freshwater: 11 a.m. Thursday, February 10
- Adult Book Discussion: The Mother of Black Hollywood: 6 p.m. Tuesday, February 22
- Documentary Screening: Blood Brothers: Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali: 6 p.m. Wednesday, February 2
- Film Screening: Mind/Game: The Unquiet Journey of Chamique Holdsclaw: 2 p.m. Wednesday, February 9
- Yoga Story Time with Mrs. Lina: Every Thursday in February at 11 a.m.
- Cancer Disparities in Minority Communities: 6 p.m. Monday, February 7
- Doctor Bombay: East Meets West Health Discussion: 6 p.m. Thursday, February 10
- DIY: SoulCollage® Cards: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, February 15
- How Mental and Physical Health Affects our Hair Growth with Crystal Ross: 6 p.m. Wednesday, February 16
- Movement-by-Zumba: 10 a.m. Saturday, February 19
Grab and Go Craft Kits
- Healing Bead Bracelet Grab and Go Kits available at Woodson Regional and Beverly, Hall and South Chicago Branch
Reading and Viewing Recommendations
We recommend these books and DVDs exploring African American heritage, history and Black Mental Health & Physical Wellness: