|Size:||.5 linear feet|
|Repository:||Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Special Collections, 400 S. State Street, Chicago, IL 60605|
|Collection Number:||SPE: Archives_CTC_CA|
|Provenance:||These materials were donated to the library by Claudia Allen in 1992.|
|Access:||Script and pre-production materials in the Claudia Allen Collection are bound by copyright restrictions. Reproduction of these materials is strictly prohibited pending written permission by the playwright. Researchers, please request this material 24 hours in advance.|
|Citation:||When quoting material from this collection the preferred citation is: Claudia Allen Collection, Special Collections, Chicago Public Library|
Claudia Allen (b. 1954) is a Chicago playwright with roots in small town Michigan. She has written a number of plays, including Winter (1996), Ripe Conditions (1994), Still Waters, Eulah, Change, and Cahoots. Ms. Allen’s gay and lesbian-themed plays, including Roomers, Rain Check, Hannah Free, and Movie Queens, have played in Bailiwick Repertory’s “Pride Performance Series” and other theatrical venues in Chicago. Movie Queens (1991), a one-act play, was produced both in Chicago and New York City. A short, Chicago play titled They Even Got the Rienzi won a place in the Great Chicago Playwright’s Exposition at the Victory Gardens/Body Politic in 1987, and her comic teleplay, Deer Season was presented on WMAQ-Channel 5. Ms. Allen’s first full-length Equity production, The Long Awaited, premiered at the Victory Gardens Theater in 1989. Ms. Allen is a member of the Dramatist’s Guild.
Scope and Content
Collection includes scripts, reviews and programs 1985-1991.
The play/production records in this collection are arranged in reverse chronological order. The folders are unnumbered.
Several of Ms. Allen’s plays are available in the Library’s Literature & Language Division on the seventh floor. Among them are:
- Winter (54 p.). Woodstock, IL: Dramatic Pub., circa 1996. Call #PS3551.L39215W5 1996.
- Ripe Conditions (54 p.) Woodstock, IL: Dramatic Pub., circa 1994. Call #PS3551 .L39215R56 1994.
- She Always Liked the Girls Best (222 p.). Chicago: Third Side Press, 1992. Call #PS3551.L39215S47 1993.
- Movie Queens (46 p.). Chicago: Chicago Plays; 1991. Call #PS3551 .L39215M68 1991.
The Long Awaited
- Pre-production script, earlier version; unmarked, circa 1985
- Revised script, circa 1989
- Program and reviews from Victory Gardens production, 1990 January 20-March 5
- Reviews from Interplay Ensemble (Spokane, WA) production, 1990 November
- Script; unmarked, undated
- Published script (Chicago Plays, 1991)
- Script; unmarked, circa 1990 [1991 April]
- Reviews from Victory Gardens production, 1991 April-May 5