|Size:||.5 linear feet|
|Repository:||Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Special Collections, 400 S. State Street, Chicago, IL 60605|
|Collection Number:||SPE: Archives_CTC_CA|
|Provenance:||These materials were donated to the library by Claudia Allen in 1992.|
|Access:||Script and pre-production materials in the Claudia Allen Collection are bound by copyright restrictions. Reproduction of these materials is strictly prohibited pending written permission by the playwright.|
|Citation:||When quoting material from this collection the preferred citation is: Claudia Allen Collection, Special Collections, Chicago Public Library|
Claudia Allen (b. 1954) is a Chicago playwright with roots in small town Michigan. She has written a number of plays, including Winter (1996), Ripe Conditions (1994), Still Waters, Eulah, Change, and Cahoots. Ms. Allen’s gay and lesbian-themed plays, including Roomers, Rain Check, Hannah Free, and Movie Queens, have played in Bailiwick Repertory’s “Pride Performance Series” and other theatrical venues in Chicago. Movie Queens (1991), a one-act play, was produced both in Chicago and New York City. A short, Chicago play titled They Even Got the Rienzi won a place in the Great Chicago Playwright’s Exposition at the Victory Gardens/Body Politic in 1987, and her comic teleplay, Deer Season was presented on WMAQ-Channel 5. Ms. Allen’s first full-length Equity production, The Long Awaited, premiered at the Victory Gardens Theater in 1989. Ms. Allen is a member of the Dramatist’s Guild.
Scope and Content
Collection includes scripts, reviews and programs 1985-1991.
The play/production records in this collection are arranged in reverse chronological order. The folders are unnumbered.
Several of Ms. Allen’s plays are available in the Library’s Literature & Language Division on the seventh floor. Among them are:
- Winter (54 p.). Woodstock, IL: Dramatic Pub., circa 1996. Call #PS3551.L39215W5 1996.
- Ripe Conditions (54 p.) Woodstock, IL: Dramatic Pub., circa 1994. Call #PS3551 .L39215R56 1994.
- She Always Liked the Girls Best (222 p.). Chicago: Third Side Press, 1992. Call #PS3551.L39215S47 1993.
- Movie Queens (46 p.). Chicago: Chicago Plays; 1991. Call #PS3551 .L39215M68 1991.
The Long Awaited
- Pre-production script, earlier version; unmarked, circa 1985
- Revised script, circa 1989
- Program and reviews from Victory Gardens production, 1990 January 20-March 5
- Reviews from Interplay Ensemble (Spokane, WA) production, 1990 November
- Script; unmarked, undated
- Published script (Chicago Plays, 1991)
- Script; unmarked, circa 1990 [1991 April]
- Reviews from Victory Gardens production, 1991 April-May 5