We’re celebrating diversity during Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in May by observing the culture, heritage, contributions and achievements of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders through book discussions, lectures, film screenings, art exhibits and workshops for both adults and children.
Join us for our opening program at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 3 at Edgewater Branch. The celebration features Korean songs, traditional Nepali dance, Mahori music, the Tambourine dance and the Pipa dance performed by Little Ol Korea Children’s Choir, GirlForward Shakti Group, Cambodian Association of Illinois and Chinese American Service League.
See a complete list of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month events. Highlights include:
- Music & Meditation with Sahaja Meditation
- Henna & South Asian Culture with Maneesha Sharma
- Dance of Cambodia with Thep Nimit Dance
- Origami Framed Flower Garden with Naomi Negi
- China in a Suitcase with Ling-Ling Hu
- Panel discussion: The Rise of Asia?
- Film screenings: Up the Yangtze by Yung Chang and The World Before Her by Nisha Pahuja