How Do I...?
Public Service Volunteer Intern—Unpaid
Homework Help Program
The Chicago Public Library is seeking students, recent graduates and civic-minded adults who want to acquire knowledge and valuable work experience while assisting with the Homework Help Program.
Through the Homework Help Program, elementary and high school students receive assistance with school assignments during after-school hours at their local CPL branch.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated and dedicated to providing public service while obtaining hands-on work experience in a fast-paced environment.
- be a junior or senior in high school with a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 grading scale
- OR be a current college or graduate school student
- OR have equivalent work and life experience.
Note: Prior teaching experience is not necessary. CPL will provide training for successful candidates. Successful candidates must submit to background checks and finger-printing.
Unpaid. Hours may be used to obtain academic credit or to meet service-learning requirements.
Three hours a week minimum; six hours a week preferred. The program operates 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. weekdays.
Assigned duties include:
- Help children focus on their homework
- Define objectives of the homework assignment
- Provide assistance in understanding the homework assignment
- Demonstrate and reinforce learning concepts (e.g., math facts, grammar basics) necessary for homework completion
- Conduct skill drills that pertain to the homework assignment
Interested applicants should forward resume, cover letter and current transcripts confirming grade-point average and grade level (if a high school junior or senior) or current transcript or letter of enrollment verification from the school’s registrar/dean verifying enrollment (if a current college or graduate school student) to:
Chicago Public Library
Human Resources Division
400 S. State St., 10th fl.
Chicago, IL 60605
Phone: (312) 745-0994
Note: Only applicants who submit all the required documents will be considered.
If you are a person with disability and require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources at (312) 744-4976 (voice) or (312) 744-5035 (TTY). You may be required to provide information to support your reasonable accommodation request.
All references to political sponsorship or recommendation must be omitted from any and all application materials submitted for City employment.
The City of Chicago is an equal opportunity employer.