How Do I Become the Next Oscar Winner?
Have you ever acted in a play? Taken a drama class? Done a reading in church? Given a speech at school? Chances are you’ve had some opportunity to perform in front of a group but now you are thinking about taking it to the next level. It takes time to become famous (even if you’re an overnight sensation!), so taking time to become a better actor will be key. Here are some steps:
- Get training. Even Johnny Depp and Gwenyth Paltrow had to take some acting classes. Consider joining Chicago Public Library’s Teen Volume Reader’s Theatre Troupe to get some training as an actor. Teens in high school have the opportunity to be mentored by professional actors from Chicago’s Promethean Theatre Ensemble, so not only will you be able to hone your skills as an actor, but you’ll get great advice from professionals. New applicants are accepted on an ongoing basis, so apply today!
- Get experience. If you’ve taken classes, the next step is getting the chance to perform. You may have that opportunity as part of your training, but take any chance you can to perform and get exposure and experience. Read the announcements at school, audition for local community theater or professional theater in the city, practice public speaking in class, etc. The more you perform, the better you’ll get!
- See theater and moves. Knowing what’s popular is important for actors, and you’ll be able to study from some of the best by seeing live theater and movies.
- Theater in Chicago: Chicago is one of the best cities in the country for live theater! Most of the theater companies in Chicago offer a student rate for tickets that is significantly cheaper than full price, so explore and see theater cheaply!
- DVDs at the Library: If you’re on a budget but would like to see some Oscar-winning performances to take notes, you can check out DVDs from your local library. Simply search or browse the online catalog and use your library card to check one out!
- Audition! If you’d like to try out for local productions or movies, search the League of Chicago Theatres website for audition notices.
League of Chicago Theatres
Learn about Chicago’ theaters and what they are producing. Find audition notices for upcoming productions.
Steppenwolf for Young Adults
Steppenwolf for Young Adults produces two plays each year specifically for teenagers.
Acting for Young Actors: The Ultimate Teen Guide
By Mary Lou Belli
The Complete Audition Book for Young Actors
By Roger Ellis
Magnificent Monologues for Teens
By Chambers Stevens
By E. Lockhart
By Polly Shulman
A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
By Emily Horner
By Kathe Koja
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
By John Green and David Levithan
Watch some young Oscar-nominated performers in these movies!
Directed by Joe Wright
Directed by Jason Reitman
Little Miss Sunshine
Directed by Jonathon Dayton and Valerie Faris
Directed by Jane Campion
Pride and Prejudice
Directed by Joe Wright
The Sixth Sense
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
Directed by Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
Directed by Niki Caro
Directed by Debra Granik